2014 NYHPA Annual Conference Overview
Were you there? If not, you missed an informative and lively event!
More than 200 people attended HPA's 2014 Annual Conference on November 20th—an informative one day event looking at ongoing efforts to reshape the health care delivery in New York and across the nation.
If you weren't there, here are some highlights from the conference that you missed:
- NCQA's Margaret O'Kane, who kicked off the day, told people that "collaboration is critical" for system reform.
- Courtney Burke, Governor Cuomo's Deputy Secretary for Health, noted "we're all accountable" when it comes to improving outcomes.
- Melinda Abrams from the Commonwealth Fund said "System reform is messy …but in the end is important to do."
- NY Medicaid Director Jason Helgerson told the audience that through reform, "we can reduce costs and improve quality."
- A panel of antitrust experts looked at the issue of collaboration without crossing the antitrust line.
- NY State of Health Executive Director Donna Frescatore highlighted changes to New York's marketplace, including easier shopping and new tools to help consumers compare plan options.
- Looking at the role health care played in this year's elections, Bob Bellafiore from Capitol Tonight's "Insiders" concluded that "health care is complicated and doesn't fit on a bumper sticker."
Thanks to all who made the day a success. Hope to see everyone at the 2015 Annual Conference!
2014 Conference Program and Agenda (click image below)
2014 Keynote Speaker
Margaret E. O'Kane is President of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA), an independent, non-profit organization that improves health care quality through measurement, transparency and accountability. Ms. O'Kane has served as co-chair of the National Priorities Partnership and is a board member of the Foundation for Informed Decision Making and the American Board of Medical Specialties. She was elected a member of the Institute of Medicine in 1999 and received the 2009 Picker Institute Individual Award for Excellence in the Advancement of Patient-Centered Care. She received the Gail L. Warden Leadership Excellence Award from the National Center for Healthcare Leadership in 2012. Modern Healthcare has named O'Kane one of the Top 25 Women in Healthcare three times, most recently in 2013. A master's degree holder in health administration and planning from Johns Hopkins University, Ms. O'Kane is a recipient of that university's Distinguished Alumnus Award.
Medical and Pharmacy Directors' Breakfast
William Henderson, SVP Data Analysis and Research, NIA Magellan
Courtney Burke, Deputy Secretary for Health, Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
Keynote Address—"Quality Care and the Empire State"
Margaret E. O'Kane, President, National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
From SHIP to DSRIP-Reforming New York's Delivery System
Moderator: Michelle Marto, VP for Government Affairs, United Health Group
Melinda K. Abrams, M.S., Vice President for Government Affairs, Commonwealth Fund Health Care Delivery System Reform Program
Jason A. Helgerson, Medicaid Director/New York State, Deputy Commissioner/New York State Office of Health Insurance Programs
Collaborating Without Crossing the Line
Moderator: Harold N. Iselin, Esq., Managing Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig
Alexis James Gilman, Esq., Managing Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig
Elinor R. Hoffmann, Esq., Deputy Bureau Chief, Antitrust Bureau, Office of the New York State Attorney General
Mark Thomas, Esq., General Counsel, Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS)
Red State, Blue State-How Health Care Played From Potsdam to Peoria
Moderator: Elizabeth Benjamin, Reporter/NY1 and Time Warner Cable News; Editor-in-Chief/"State of Politics;" Host/Capital Tonight
Steven A. Greenberg, Greenberg Public Relations
Robert Bellafiore, Stanhope Partners
2014 Pre-Conference Reception & Dinner
A Pre-Conference Reception and Dinner was held at the Albany Marriott Hotel on Wolf Road on Wednesday, November 19th from 5:30 pm—8:00 pm for NYHPA members and for Gold, Platinum and Diamond-level sponsors. The reception and dinner was generously sponsored by Beacon Health Strategies and provided a casual atmosphere for mingling with other conference participants, speakers and sponsors.
Exhibitors, Sponsorships & Advertising
We would like to THANK the organizations and companies that have generously supported this conference:
Confirmed 2014 Exhibitors & Sponsors